- 25 Jul, 2019
- Clearlight Infrared Saunas
- No Comments
HOW TO FALL ASLEEP NATURALLY & 13 NATURAL SLEEP REMEDIES
There’s nothing better than waking up after a great night of sleep, feeling refreshed and ready to tackle the day. There are so many benefits of a good night’s sleep in addition to feeling rejuvenated the next morning: it can keep your heart healthy, help reduce stress and ward off depression. With that being said, having difficulty falling asleep can be an especially frustrating experience..
Whether you suffer from insomnia or have simple restlessness, read these tips to learn how to fall asleep naturally and find natural remedies that will help you get a great night’s rest.
Alt Text: Couple Putting on Clean Sheets for Restful Sleep
Tips to Fall Asleep Naturally
Wash Your Sheets
Having clean sheets may not help you fall asleep immediately, but it will definitely ensure you many nights of healthy, restful sleep. Washing your sheets and pillowcases twice a year helps keep your bed rid of dust, sweat, and any other accumulated debris that can cause discomfort. And just imagine that cozy feeling of snuggling up in fresh, clean sheets!
Use a Sound Machine
Using a sound machine is a great way to help you fall asleep naturally. The most recommended sound is white noise, as it is a constant, soothing sound, but there are plenty of other sounds that may work better for you. Thunderstorms, ocean waves, even city sounds are all available to help you drift off to sleep.
Relax in a Sauna
One of the many infrared sauna health benefits is feeling relaxed, rejuvenated, and renewed – leading to a more restful sleep. Infrared sauna use helps with thermoregulation before bed and puts the body in a parasympathetic state where the body rests and digests. A study also showed that sauna therapy helped reduce the effects of chronic fatigue.
If a racing mind is keeping you up at night, meditation might be just the sleep aid that you need. Sleep meditations help create the inner conditions needed for a truly restful night. Because when we settle the mind, we rest the body—and that restfulness is what makes it easier to wind down and drift off..
Establish a Bedtime Ritual
Our bodies do well when a schedule is involved. For great sleep naturally, creating a bedtime ritual will not only give you something to look forward to and wind down with, but it will also provide your body with a sense of consistency. Sleep rituals help you easily transition from the hustle and bustle of the day into a quiet state for restful sleep.
Block Out All Light
Whether it’s a flashing light from your toothbrush in your bathroom or a bright street light outside your window, having a light on can stimulate your mind and make it difficult to sleep. Try to block out all unnecessary light when you sleep to avoid distractions. Additionally, avoid using screens for an hour before bed to avoid overstimulation.
Natural Sleep Remedies
- 5-HTP: 5-HTP, or 5-Hydroxytryptophan, is a by-product of L-tryptophan and can be taken in pill form. This amino acid helps with serotonin neurotransmitter production, which helps regulate sleep-wake cycles and mood.
- CBD: CBD is the non-psychoactive cannabidiol compound found in cannabis. Unlike THC, CBD does not produce a high. Instead, CBD is great for its calming properties and is a great natural remedy for sleep if taken before bed.
- Chamomile: Chamomile has been used for centuries to treat a number of ailments, including insomnia. Drinking chamomile tea before bed is both a calming bedtime ritual and a natural sleep remedy to help you wind down.
- Glycine: Glycine is an amino acid that plays an important role in the nervous system. Recent studies show that taking it before bedtime may improve sleep by lowering body temperature, signaling it’s time to sleep..
- Jujube: Studies show jujube can lengthen sleep time and increase time spent in deep, restorative slow-wave sleep and REM sleep. Compounds in jujube also relax the body, boosting levels of calming neurotransmitters..
- Kava Root: Kava has been linked to sleep-promoting effects in some studies. It is traditionally prepared as a tea or as a supplement. It’s best to buy only kava that has been certified by a reputable third-party organization..
- L-theanine: L-theanine elevates levels of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), as well as serotonin and dopamine. Consuming a daily supplement containing 200–400 mg of this amino acid may improve sleep and relaxation..
- Lavender: Lavender aromatherapy may help improve sleep by reducing stress. Some studies show that females and young individuals feel relief from mild insomnia while quality and duration of sleep improve..
- Magnesium: Magnesium is a mineral important for brain function and heart health. It is able to regulate the production of melatonin and increase the production of calming GABA, making falling asleep naturally easier..
- Magnolia Bark: Bioactive compounds in magnolia bark appear to help increase time in both slow wave sleep and REM sleep. Other compounds in magnolia bark lower levels of stimulating hormones adrenaline and cortisol..
- Melatonin: Melatonin is a hormone that regulates the body’s circadian rhythms and is produced in the pineal gland in the center. Studies show it decreases the time it takes to fall asleep and increases feelings of sleepiness..
- Passion Flower: Passion flower tea may help slightly improve sleep quality in some individuals. However, the evidence is weak and some studies have found no effects. Thus, more studies are needed..
- Valerian Root: Valerian is an herb native to Asia and Europe. Its root is commonly used as a natural treatment for symptoms of insomnia, anxiety, and depression, and can improve sleep if taken before bedtime..
Consult with your doctor before starting a new supplement regimen and if conditions don’t improve. If you are having trouble sleeping, try these natural sleep remedies and tips to get a restful night of sleep. The keys to falling asleep naturally are slowing down at the end of the day and listening to your body. Sweet dreams!